Portrait: Ink & Acrylic Painting
***CLASS IS CURRENTLY CLOSED***
Sign up using Wait List Below for Sept Opening!
In this class we will be painting a striking portrait using water soluble inks and acrylic paints directly on a 6x6 birch wood panel. (This technique can also be painted on paper or canvas.)
Both beginners and artists with intermediate skills will be able to complete this painting. Advanced artists will have an opportunity to learn the blending reaction between two mediums, ink and acrylic.
We will start by drawing a basic face form using a water soluble pencil.
Adding water soluble inks over our drawing, we will lay down the foundation for our layers. We will then use the gesso over ink process to seal and blend our inks.
We will continue building layers using acrylic and gesso while we redefine our features between layers. We will also apply light and dark tones to create drama.
We will learn how create bold contrasts and rich tones by using certain color combinations that cause the painting to glow.
We will focus on realistic eyes, but we will also maintain a whimsical feel by adding teal hair. And in the final stages, we will give our painting life, by adding details that create character.
Ink & Acrylic Portrait Class
- 5x8 Birch wood panel (Watercolor paper or canvas can be used.)
- Brushes: (Okay to use whatever brushes you have.)
- Round or Flat #4
- Round #2
- Graphit-Kreide Water soluble pencil 9B (Lyra)
- Gesso - White (Liquitex)
- Inks - water soluble (Distressed Stain, Okay to use any water soluble ink.)
- Orange/Yellow (Spiced Marmalade)
- Red (Fired Brick)
- Blue/Green (Broken China)
- Acrylic Paint: (Okay to use any brand or colors you have.)
- Teal - (Acapulco - Apple Barrel)
- Red - Watermelon (Adirondack) or Cherry Cobbler (Craft Smart)
- Burnt Umber (M. Graham & Co.)
- Sepia - (Fluid Acrylic Golden) Optional
- Deep Violet - (Basics Liquitex)
- Orange - (Pumpkin Orange - Apple Barrel)
- Baby Wipes
- Paper towels
- Water bowl