Female Portrait - Distressed Stain Class
This class is for all levels of experience.
This is a 3 part video series where we will paint a female portrait using distressed stains, Sumi ink, gesso, and finish with glazes of acrylic.
In the first video, we will draw a female face either freehand or using carbon paper to transfer the features from a copyright free image. We will add shading using graphite and Sumi ink. We will apply color with Ranger distress stains and mark-making with Sumi ink. (It is okay to use other water-based inks.)
In the second video, we will add white gesso over the distressed stains and Sumi ink. We'll blend face colors and start glazing our background with acrylic paint.
In the third and final video, we will continue glazing our background and add balance to our painting by enriching our darks and shadows with acrylic paints.
This portrait style offers brilliant colors, dreamy imaginative backgrounds, and a relaxing loose painting.
Female Portrait - Distressed Stain
- Watercolor paper or canvas (I used 8 1/2 x 12, 90lb watercolor pad.)
- White Gesso
- Stabilo-All pencil, black & blue
- Ranger Distressed Stain (or other water-soluble stain/ink.)
- Spiced Marmalade
- Shabby Shutters
- Broken China
- Fired Brick
- Sumi ink (or other water-soluble ink.)
- Acrylic paint:
- Unbleached Titanium (Liquitex-Basic)
- Pumpkin Orange (Apple Barrel)
- Acapulco (Apple Barrel)
- Deep Violet (Liquitex-Basic)
- Nib pen or small brush
- Brushes: Round (8); Flat (8); Scrubber (I used a Princeton Select, Fix-it #2)
- 2-B pencil
- Carbon paper
- Image of female face - front facing (I will provide a PDF of the image I used.)
- Palette knives or used credit card
- Pliers (Used to remove caps off distressed stain bottles)
- Spray bottle with water
- Water bowl
- Rags & paper towels